by Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
There’s plenty of construction taking place in Austin, but none currently quite as big and impressive as the 1.2-million-square-foot JW Marriott Austin at Congress Avenue and Second Street.
Developer White Lodging Service Corp. released some interesting tidbits today about the big dig:
- Since groundbreaking in October 2012, the construction team — a joint venture between Hunt Construction Group and Hardin Construction — dug down the equivalent of five stories and reached bottom on Feb. 2.
- Some 110,000 cubic yards of dirt were removed, enough to cover 51 football field with a foot of dirt.
- Construction currently rises three stories, headed to 34 stories.
- During the course of construction, the following amounts of materials will be used: 650,000 pounds of cable, 54,000 cubic yards of concrete, 5,400 doors, 3,500 tons of rebar and 2,300 tons of steel.
- Thus far, the hotel has contracts for 140,000 rooms when it opens in early 2015.
Upon completion, it will be the largest JW Marriott hotel in the U.S.